Well, it has happened. Pretty sure I am officially middle aged. After persistent muscle strains in my back, I had to look for a therapeutic form of exercise. I settled on hot yoga and started last week. And honestly my back is already feeling better….however with my muscle relief came a few other lessons.
- Hot yoga means it is really, really hot. While I appreciate a good sweat, I am not a huge fan of others sweating profusely in close proximity to me. Disgusting, really.
- Listening to deep cleansing breaths make me laugh. [At least to myself- under my shallow, immature breath.}
- My hamstrings are insanely tight.
- Looking around to compare yourself to others during balancing poses causes you to fall over.
- I don’t speak the language. Literally. I am consistently behind the “flow” in power yoga because I don’t understand Sanskrit.
- Lululemon seemingly has taken over the world-one overpriced tank, with a clever name, at a time.
Some of you are dedicated yogis. I applaud you. It is a exercise of humility and endurance. It is Monday and the yoga mat is calling. I have mastered child’s pose and savasana with ease. Hoping this week I can get a little closer to the ground in my forward bend. Namaste.
[ps. It’s great to be back from a long hiatus!]